Thursday, September 24, 2015

Montana # 1 - Glacier NP, Whitefish, Columbia Falls


Wednesday, Sept. 9th, we left Idaho and drove to Columbia Falls, Montana. It was really cold when we left Idyll Acres in Idaho this morning and when we got to our RV Park in Montana, it was 77 degrees!  Beautiful!  We hurriedly changed out of jeans and sweaters back to summer clothes and flip-flops! YAY! I’m sure we’ll have our share of cool weather again, but after snow and cold temps in Canada, this feels wonderful!  We’re at Columbia Falls RV Park, and it’s a very attractive park, though sites are really close together!  $50 a night for my RVing friends.  Also, it’s great to have TV and wifi and cell service again! We feel much less isolated!


Thursday, September 10, 2015 – We took a quiet day which feels wonderful after our busy time in Canada.  We knew our time there was limited, so we just went from morning till night, so it’s nice to have a quiet day to catch up and read and rest.  I fixed us a big breakfast and later we did go out to mail a couple of packages, get a few groceries  and then to the library to work on my Canada blog.  But enjoyed a beautiful restful afternoon. I am really enjoying the series of books I’m reading right now.

Friday – Sept 11th -  Just writing that date brings a flood of memories, doesn’t it for you? I think all of us remember where we were and what we were doing that infamous day 14 years ago. May we NEVER FORGET!

Today was a wonderful day for us exploring Glacier National Park.  What glorious weather and beautiful sights we saw today!  What an amazing artistic Creator we serve!  Much of this trip has literally been a worship experience as we marvel at the beauty of Nature.




























And here is Earl in his classic pose on the edge of a cliff!


Here is some of the beautiful colors in Montana.....



It was a long day – we quickly looked on Trip Advisor and picked another restaurant here in Columbia Falls – an Asian restaurant called The Tea Kettle Café. VERY different.  We went in expecting to be seated and instead were met by a very friendly hostess, inviting us to come in and take a tour!  She showed us around, and I had absolutely no earthly idea of what to order. Most of the things I’d never even heard of – I’m not a huge curry fan, and lots of the dishes were curried this or that. She said they are known for their delicious pot stickers, something else I’d never heard of, but she described them and they sounded pretty good, so we ordered an appetizer of pot stickers!  I posted this on FB and much to my surprise many of my friends are very familiar with them, order them from QVC even, as well as Sams and Costco!  Hmmmm  



At any rate, you order a “base” dish (I chose fried rice – at least I knew what that was!) and then you add a protein – I chose seared chicken breasts, Earl had BBQ pork, and then a sauce.  There were so MANY – we went by what was her favorite, a spicy Mandarin sweet sauce, and it was pretty good.  Not sure this would be my favorite food – I’d still choose Mexican any day, haha. But it was tasty and a fun experience.

Saturday, Sept. 12th – we slept late, just spent a leisurely morning, and this afternoon we went out to explore the town of Whitefish!  LOVELY town!!!  So scenic and quaint! We had a brunch at Loula’s Café, and it was packed – we had a 20 min wait to be seated, so we knew it must be good, and indeed it was!  We like late breakfasts anyway.  Then we strolled through the town and did a little shopping here and there, enjoying the shops and the fall colors....






It was such a beautiful day – about 82 or 83, so we took our chairs and books and went down and sat by the Whitefish River to enjoy the afternoon.  I actually didn’t get near as much reading done as usual, as I was continually distracted by the ducks.  There were so many of them, splashing and preening and carrying on, that it was fun just to watch them.  So cool to see the way they come flying in low and then “skid” across the water with their little webbed feet. Nature really is amazing. 


We were mostly alone, but once a father and son came along just to feed the ducks.  The little boy looked about 2 ½ maybe and was so cute!  Sure made me miss my grandbabies!  Another lovely family came along just for a few minutes.  A mom and dad and 2 adorable little blond haired girls and the daddy was holding what appeared to be almost a newborn in his “front-pack” – they seemed like such a wholesome family, and it made us recall the days when our kids were little and we’d take them places…..good times for sure.
On the way back home, we stopped by this large area that had huge billboards arranged in this large semi-circle and in the center was their office! I wish they’d have been open.  I’d be so curious to know what their story was, their background and motivation for this type of venture.  Here are just a FEW of the billboards….lots more and were either scripture or politically based sayings….






It was still sunny and warm when we got back to the RV, so we sat out and finally did get some reading done as there were less distractions here.  We really weren’t very hungry, so I fixed Earl my leftover Asian dish from last night and I had a tomato sandwich. We’re off again in the morning – headed to Missoula, and anxious to take our car in on Monday where we’ll get the damages repaired.  Kind of tired of driving all over in a car that definitely gets 2nd looks – haha.  More on Montana to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment